Search This Blog

Friday 9 December 2022

To Mary

 To Mary


The rain is endlessly followed by the constant bombardment, and I spend most of my days wet through and covered in mud.

So far I am one of the lucky ones as I have escaped trench foot.

As I look around the trench I am presently dug in I am surrounded by dead bodies, and blood and I like my fellow soldiers am covered in body lice.

The food is scarce and not very adequate  I do miss your home cooked meals as I look at the snow falling it's brass monkeys all we seem to do is march to and from the enemy.

I fight day and night, I do wish the officers would stop the cavalry then I could go home to dance in the arms of you my love.

There goes another bomb while the bigwigs sit in their tents having tea.

I hope to be home before this reaches you and as extra gift, I will be home for Christmas.

From 

Jona 


This was the last letter I wrote home I never got to see the tears streaming down Mary's face as she opened this letter .

No comments:

Post a Comment