Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 August 2022

Red Wristband.

 In the hospital I work in we had two types of waistbands each containing the patient s   name and relevant information.

White was for those who were being treated, and Red was for the ones who were no longer with us and were due to be in the morgue.

This particular day I was working the night shift as I went to the lift to go to my next post at 2. A.M in the morning, the hospital was at its quietest, most patients asleep, and some nurses went home.

I entered the lift which was already occupied by a woman with black jet hair, and a thin, gaunt face.

As We were the only ones in the lift I decided to casually talk to the woman.

Further on the lift stopped and standing outside was an old man dressed in a white dressing gown, he was about to get in the lift when I panicked and pressed the lift close button and just punched any button to get away from the old man.

The woman was very annoyed with my actions and said.

(Why did you do that?)

I replied

(As a doctor I have seen a lot of patients die and each receives a red wristband on their arm, I may be overtired but I am sure that old man was wearing a red wristband)

The woman then just burst out laughing in a manic way, and then her black plutonium eyes stared deeply into mine and she slowly raised her arm to reveal she was wearing a red wristband.

I became overwhelmed with fear and dread my fight or flight instincts a throwback to when we were a caveman kicked in I tried in earnest to stop the lift but none of the buttons was working and still the woman is laughing.

Suddenly the lift stops, The woman stops laughing and point at the lift door, the doors of the lift open to reveal the floor level reached The Mongue.

I refuse to get out of the lift until the woman points her now bony hand towards my wrist.on which was a red wristband.

The last words I heard were

(Welcome we have been expecting you)

No comments:

Post a Comment