Search This Blog

Monday 29 June 2020

MY FRIST KARATE TOURNAMENT _SYTL _SAY YES TO LIFE KARATE FOR MENTAL HEALTH INTERNATIONAL ONLINE TOURNAMENT SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 27_28 th JUNE 2020

Gōjū-ryū (剛柔流)Japanese for "hard-soft style", is one of the main traditional Okinawan styles of karate, htfeaturing a combination of hard and soft techniques. Both principles, hard and soft, come from the famous martial arts book used by Okinawan masters during the 19th and 20th centuries, the Bubishi (Chinese武備志pinyinWǔbèi Zhì).[1] , which means hard, refers to closed hand techniques or straight linear attacks; , which means soft, refers to open hand techniques and circular movements. Gōjū-ryū incorporates both circular and linear movements into its curriculum, combining hard striking attacks such as kicks and close hand punches with softer open hand circular techniques for attacking, blocking, and controlling the opponent, including joint locks, grappling, takedowns, and throws. 

I practice  Gojo Ryu  at Gésar Karate  based  at  Fry Street; Holsworthy ;Devon which  is a small club running  for more than  10 years  around  Holsworthy. The classes  offered  are a mixture of kata;Kumite;self defense and fitness  training. 
Both my Sensi s Hjalmar  Dentlinger ..Facebook Link_    https://m.facebook.com/gesarkarate/?tsid=0.055723240705881416&source=result and Sensi  Dan Hunt help with adapting  my Karate  due to murder neurological problem  which  affects  my  balance and  my  small vessel disease of the brain which affects my cognitive skills like memory. 

I saw posted on on Gesar  Karate  Facebook  page  about  an online  International Kata competition  being  held by SYTL _SAY YES TO LIFE  KARATE __https://m.facebook.com/SYTLKarate/
So inspired  by its  support  to raise  money  and awareness for mental health i registered  myself  to take part  as a competitor in the  pre recorded  kata  and the live Tournament in the Vets _over 35 years old immediate division. 
This was my very  frist  ever Karate  tournament i wanted  to see how I could  push my limits .
The process  required  me to learn and perform two Gojo _Ryu  katas  I choose  Gekisai Ich and Saifa.

 Saifa was the more challenging  of the  two as I have  done this kata  a couple  of times  but  it was  good  to  test my memory  skills  due to fact I have  Small Vessel  Disease of The Brain which affects my cognitive skills like memory  plus my mobility  is hampered  by my neurological the  that affects  my balance. 
Live Tournament Day 
Saturday 

I had to sign on to the zoom link given and then bow in around 11am.I asked my step son Shane to be my cameraman to film my kata for the live segments ,I was not due to go on until after 2pm so I had my dinner and relaxed a little.
Then I signed in and awaited my final against David Horn SYTL Gojo Ryu  Karate in the D2@D3 Intermediate and advanced 5th to 1th kyu .
I admit my nerves were building up and we had a few camera issue s until we figured out of was better view from the back camera if the tablet.

Then I did not have a red or blue belt as is standard in competition but my yellow belt was accepted by the judges as ok.As I was Red
I bowed then
I had give second s to announce my kata  then  perform it all the way to the end,
I did my first kata Gekisai Ich and I messed it up a bit
Then awaited the Judges decision as Davd Horn Blue had performed his Kara before me.
I was then informed by the Judge s that I had got a SILVER Medal and due to the gap between belt grades as David is 3rd Brown Belt I think it was deemed not necessary to do a second kata

AS in all competitions or tournaments the Judges decision is final and a fair decision .

I also entered the pre recorded kata section but the standard was very high.


I later watched The LipinSki Cup
A live open final All Kata Styles Completion


A very enjoyable and excellent standard s of karate katas.


Then I attended the medal ceremony

For my very first experience of what a karate competition is like I can say it was worth challenging myself and pushing my limits I can truly say to any over karate students thinking of giving it a try please do,just remember I did it and I am 58 years old.

Thank s
SENSI PAUL BATTERS
ALL MY FELLOW ONLINE TOURNAMENT COMPETITORS
SENSI HJALMAR DENTLINGER
SENSI DAN HUNT

SYTL -SAY YES TO LIFE KARATE
GESAR KARATE
SHANE THOMPSON


YOUR S

MARK ANTONY RAINES
2ND GREEN BELT
GESAR KARATE
HOLSWORTHY
DEVON




No comments:

Post a Comment